homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteading on the beach?

  • From: Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteading on the beach?
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:39:46 -0500

The weather is the big difference for me. For example, by Memorial Day,
even a warm weather vegetable garden in this area has passed its peak. Most
of the rain falls in summer, yet most food crops can't be grown then because
of the heat.

Between north Mississippi and Pennsylvania the difference is one of
intensity: north MS summer is longer and hotter; northcentral PA winter is
longer and colder. North Florida's summer is not hotter than north MS
really (though it seems to last forever), but there's no winter at all
here. Just a kind of funky springtime for Christmas. I've been here four
years and I'm only just beginning to get over the strangeness. Lynn said a
while back that she did not celebrate New Year's in January because nothing
much seems new in the middle of winter. New Year seems appropriately dated
for Florida's Big Bend.

Another big plus in this area--worm grunting and lard wrestling contests? I
saw the advertising signs, not the actual activities.

Cathy