homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteading on the beach?

  • From: Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteading on the beach?
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 19:21:57 -0500

It will be nice to grow lots of okra and sweet potatoes again. I haven't
done enough research into citrus and other fruits to know what's good for
this area. I guess I would share weather patterns with your friends in
Gainesville. What little I know of this area's gardening patterns I learned
from my in-laws who live near Jacksonville.(I guess they're ex-in-laws, but
that's just too complicated for me. We're still big buddies, and I consider
them extended family.) Perhaps I will find I disagree with some of their
gardening conclusions--who knows?

I'm looking at Franklin County. Over 500 square miles of county with only
two small towns. By far most of it is national preserve. You're right
about encroachment, though. Another real estate bonanza and Florida's
Forgotten Coast will likely be remembered.

Cathy