homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteading on the beach?

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteading on the beach?
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 19:45:32 -0500

>Perhaps I will find I disagree with some of their
> gardening conclusions--who knows?

I find that newcomers to Florida are really stubborn to give up their
old gardening ways. Not sure if your in-laws got it right. People want
to plant a garden in May like they did up north and all the Home
Depots, etc fed into it by offering seeds only at that time.

I'm on another organic gardening list and a lady kept posting that she
had all these fungus problems in her South Florida garden planted in
summer. She finally just ignored my posts suggesting that she not try
to do the impossible.

North Florida is a little more forgiving in the summer. But you'll not
plant English peas there in May and get a harvest!

One trick I learned is that you can find seeds on sale after the false
"season" at the Home Depot type stores. Also, I'd have to order seeds
and hold them so that I would have them at the right time.

With the mild climate, I bet there is a lot you can do with hoops and
season extenders, etc. You absolutely can have something in season
year round in that climate. If you decide to settle there, make
certain that your place has good water. Irrigation can be important
there to get a fall/winter/spring crop.

Rob - Va