homestead - Re: [Homestead] medication / supplement combos and danger

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] medication / supplement combos and danger
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 14:28:04 -0800

O.K., good example of what you are talking about. We were just talking about Bev and the possible kidney stone. There are numerous studies that show that folks who get kidney stones (the calcium type) are more likely to get another stone if they take calcium in pill form BUT not if they get it in natural form (and I do mean natural, which most dairy products can't really be called, so sweet potatoes, beet greens, tomatoes [particularly paste], clams, beans, blackstrap molasses, squash, etc.). Naturally occuring calcium is great for the bones, etc. and doesn't bind with the oxylates to form stones. HOWEVER, you won't hear a doc telling his peri-menopausal patients to eat their beet greens, lots of beans and fish. Noooooo, he'll prescribe a pill, particularly now that Big Pharma has gotten in on the bandwagon. Even though if he took two seconds to think about it he'd realise that the rise in incidence of kidney stones in American women is more than most likely directly the result of women being encouraged to take their calcium in pill form!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>

Yes, I mean the allopathic drugs prescribed by doctors. The reason I don't trust them is because our bodies did not evolve to recognize them as they have with plants and herbs. A prescription drug isolates one compound or one component of what makes a plant effective (if it is a plant-based drug), and then synthetically reproduces it. Herbs contain dozens or more components that work together to bring about a change or make an effect, and even though sciences identifies one or two of them as the 'active' ingredient, they all work together and i don't like separating out the 'active' ingredient. For example, the plant once used in a lot of diet products, ephedra, has a component that brings about the desired metabolism increase. That's the one identified as "active". It also has other components that counteract that component and helps to keep actions in the body more balanced. When only the active ingredient is separated out and used, it causes all kinds of health issues and now the herb has been labeled as "dangerous and bad". But if the whole herb is used for the things it is good for, opening sinus and bronchial passages, for example, it is not dangerous when used with restraint and common sense. Unless of course, you are already on medications that might interact with it and intensify the effect it causes.