homestead - Re: [Homestead] medication / supplement combos and danger

  • From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, "" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] medication / supplement combos and danger
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 18:17:22 +0000

Yes, I mean the allopathic drugs prescribed by doctors. The reason I don't
trust them is because our bodies did not evolve to recognize them as they
have with plants and herbs. A prescription drug isolates one compound or one
component of what makes a plant effective (if it is a plant-based drug), and
then synthetically reproduces it. Herbs contain dozens or more components
that work together to bring about a change or make an effect, and even though
sciences identifies one or two of them as the 'active' ingredient, they all
work together and i don't like separating out the 'active' ingredient. For
example, the plant once used in a lot of diet products, ephedra, has a
component that brings about the desired metabolism increase. That's the one
identified as "active". It also has other components that counteract that
component and helps to keep actions in the body more balanced. When only the
active ingredient is separated out and used, it causes all kinds of health
issues and now the herb has been labeled as "dangerous and bad". But if the
whole herb is used for the things it is good for, opening sinus and bronchial
passages, for example, it is not dangerous when used with restraint and
common sense. Unless of course, you are already on medications that might
interact with it and intensify the effect it causes.

For emergencies like heart attacks and broken bones, allopathic (western
medicine) is great and can be more reliable than 'natural medicines' like
herbs. For in between issues, like cuts, burns, colds and infections, I
prefer the herbs first. part of 'lifestyle change' means being willing to
take a few days out of work or school to nourish and rest the body. It might
also mean quitting a stressful job, but high-paying job and downscaling life
in general. This is an approach frowned on by the fast-paced, so-called
'normal' society. For long-term chronic issues, i'd go the route of diet
change, lifestyle, and herbs first and resort to prescriptions last.
Sometimes, with the natural approach already in place, it is easier to safely
add the prescriptions if your doc is open to prescribing smaller doses to
find the least amount necessary to effect the desired change. I haven't found
a doctor like that yet, but hope I do if I ever need long term meds.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)