homestead - Re: [Homestead] medication / supplement combos and danger

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: roxann <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] medication / supplement combos and danger
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 14:34:55 -0500

roxann wrote:
Yes, I mean the allopathic drugs prescribed by doctors. The reason I don't trust them is because our bodies did not evolve to recognize them as they have with plants and herbs. A prescription drug isolates
one compound or one component of what makes a plant effective (if it
is a plant-based drug), and then synthetically reproduces it. Herbs contain dozens or more components that work together to bring about a
change or make an effect, and even though sciences identifies one or
two of them as the 'active' ingredient, they all work together and i
don't like separating out the 'active' ingredient. For example, the plant once used in a lot of diet products, ephedra, has a component that brings about the desired metabolism increase. That's the one identified as "active". It also has other components that counteract that component and helps to keep actions in the body more balanced. When only the active ingredient is separated out and used, it causes all kinds of health issues and now the herb has been labeled as "dangerous and bad". But if the whole herb is used for the things it is good for, opening sinus and bronchial passages, for example, it is
not dangerous when used with restraint and common sense. Unless of course, you are already on medications that might interact with it and intensify the effect it causes.

For emergencies like heart attacks and broken bones, allopathic (western medicine) is great and can be more reliable than 'natural medicines' like herbs. For in between issues, like cuts, burns, colds
and infections, I prefer the herbs first. part of 'lifestyle change'
means being willing to take a few days out of work or school to nourish and rest the body. It might also mean quitting a stressful job, but high-paying job and downscaling life in general. This is an approach frowned on by the fast-paced, so-called 'normal' society. For long-term chronic issues, i'd go the route of diet change, lifestyle, and herbs first and resort to prescriptions last. Sometimes, with the natural approach already in place, it is easier to safely add the prescriptions if your doc is open to prescribing smaller doses to find the least amount necessary to effect the desired change. I haven't found a doctor like that yet, but hope I do
if I ever need long term meds.

Roxann, NW AR http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)

Great post Roxann, I'm on that train, too, or at least I am running
after it.<g> My PCP, the one I love, originally over prescribed my meds
to get my hormones regulated. This is what I meant by thinking outside
of the box and putting my welfare before his. It used to be that I
would get one prescription on the insurance and one off, but then Eckerd
became Rite Aid(where my scripts are) and the Rite Aid pharmacist must
not have like filling double. (in essence, what had been done was
illegal, I think-prescribing and filling more than the maximum doseage)
so anyway, a few years ago, when my hormones began trailing off again(I
have an absorption problem) I re-tried Armour(ordered from Canada
source), which had not worked for my by itself, but this time, in
conjunction with Synthroid, it worked to bring my levels within a normal
range. I now take Synthroid and Raw Thyroid together. All of these
changes and substitutions and such are with the blessing of my PCP, who
understands that due to my absorption problems, I need twice as much as
the max doseage just so that I can absorb enough to make a functional
difference. Now, he just prescribes the max dose of Synthroid, and I
order the rest online. My thyroid hormones are now regularly within
normal ranges, even though I have historically been extremely
hypothyroid, so things are working. I've tried a few different brands to
see if one product is better absorbed than another, but the current
regime is working better than anything else I've tried. My doctor is
really good about testing for efficacy if I try something new. I feel
like we are partners, and I can tell him anything. He is almost never
judgmental (even when I told him I self medicated with fish antibiotics,
no lectures). He's really amazing and I wish everyone could have a PCP
like him. They really are out there, people.
Oh and Lynn, my PCP's office is always teaming with pharmaceutical reps.
He does offer a lot of free samples to try, but I wouldn't call that
'pushing'. He will give samples and write a prescription, and directs
you not to fill the prescription until you know for sure the sample meds
work. It saves people money.

Bev

--
"The world is my country, all mankind are my
brethren, and to do good is my religion."