homestead - Re: [Homestead] medication / supplement combos and danger

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] medication / supplement combos and danger
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 14:52:42 -0800

You should be able to grow it, Roxann. It is in the vetch family and should grow in most areas and in any type of soil, although most vetch prefers sandy soil. However, we only have rocks up here and vetch grows all over the place. <g>

The main characteristics to bare in mind is that it is in the pea family and anyone with allergies shouldn't use it. Also, it does interact with some prescription meds.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>

Astragalus is one of the few herbs I cannot grow, or at least don't think I can grow, that I will buy. It's such a good herb for building a strong immune system and as far as i know, doesn't have intereraction issues. And on top of all that, it doesn't even taste nasty, lol.

Slippery elm is another good herb that can be incorporated as food or food additive, or regular tea. My daughter has GERD, and can get very very painful at times for her. The docs all want her to take prilosec or the other acid reducing herb, and slippery elm has proven to be much more helpful at relieving symptoms and can even help heal damage caused by her stomach acids, and can prevent long term damage or even cancer. It grows here, plus I buy it until I have enough of our own put up.