homestead - Re: [Homestead] medication / supplement combos and danger

  • From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, "" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] medication / supplement combos and danger
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 19:16:53 +0000

It comes in popsicle stick slices if you buy the whole herb. When you buy it
this way, it is usually going to be more fresh and have better effectiveness
than buying in pill form. You can cook a whole slice in a pot of soup, and
the whole soup will be more nourishing. It doesn't add or change the flavor
at all. You just pull the stick out when you're done. Kind of like bay leaves
in spaghetti.

That said, sometimes pills are just more convenient. My daughter won't bother
with making a tea from slippery elm but she will use the capsules. So it's a
compromise and it works for us.

>From a quality standpoint, the more surface area exposed, the faster the
>herb will lose potency. A powder has the most exposed surface area and will
>expire fastest. Maybe being in a capsule slows the process down, but you
>also have to consider what it went through on it's way to becoming a powder.
>Usually high heat from the processing. If you can find a way to make time to
>prepare teas and powder your own herbs and then cap them yourself with the
>empty capsules, you'll have a higher quality product. The ritual of making
>tea or medicines is also part of the healing process itself, working sort of
>like pavlov's dog... when you start the ritual, your body responds even
>before you take the medicines. Now that might be going just a little too far
>for some, but I think it's true.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)