homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canned Meats

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canned Meats
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 09:36:01 -0800

Yupe. Last night we had potato/corn chowder. Whipped open the canned potatoes and corn and tossed them together with a canned jar of broth, some dehydrated onions and by the time the biscuits were done we had a yummy meal that was the perfect solution to take the chill off (15 degrees at 2 p.m. and so cold earlier the digital camera would work after awhile outside!) after a day of doing stuff outside. AND, all with zip in the line of work (I don't consider making biscuits to be work. That is more like meditation and soothing).

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

Canning is an underused skill on modern homesteads and in modern kitchens.
Home canned "dinners" in a jar are like home brewed beer, there is no
commercially available equivalent.

On the more humble end of things, we could let most of the shell beans dry in
the pods and then they store for a long time with no further processing nor
expenditure. However in practice a great lot of the beans are picked in the
"green" shell stage and canned in quart jars. What this means is that when we
have been working all afternoon on this or that project and no one has put on
dried beans to soak or supervised them while they cooked for more than an hour,
we can come in and open a couple of jars and have supper in the time it takes
to make the cornbread.

When we make tamales ahead of time (when we make them it is usually 200 or
more at a time), we freeze them and they can be steamed done later. But we also
can some of them. The key, as has already been pointed out, is to make the
chili sauce much thinner than you would if you were serving them up, almost
watery.

James