homestead - [Homestead] More on Gold

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] More on Gold
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 07:44:26 -0800 (PST)

http://financialsense.com/editorials/fekete/2008/1222.html

Fekete writes an update on the outlook for the value of gold.  This one is
quite interesting as he talks about what happened to gold/silver during/after
the collapse of the Western Roman Empire and the parallels to today.  History
supports James' points a couple weeks ago that gold/silvere will have zero
value - the pricing mechanism will be gone.

Fekete warns that gold in backwardation in Dec 2008, is warning, is a
premonition of what is coming down the road.  He believes there will be
repeated instances of backwardation, each more severe than the preceeding, as
gold/silver go into hiding.  Hyperinflation and ultimately the collapse of
the monetary system - a point where gold/silver will not have a value either,
because those hoarding will not be willing to part with it, until such time
as confidence in a fiat currency returns.

After the collapse of the Roman Empire we went into the Dark Ages, where
payment in gold/silver could not be taken for granted - gold/silver went into
hiding never to re-emerge during the lifetime of the original holders.
Fekete warns that the disappearance of gold/silver is ominous.

The brief history in the article and parallels to today are interesting.

My take on the practical side of the gold/silver debate would be to SHORT
TERM term use gold/silver to off-set the hyperinflation phase of the
collapsing dollar (and other currencies collapsing) to offset the decline in
purchasing power, and exchange the gold for fiat currency in order to
purchase LONG TERM term survival goods including anything that can produce of
barter.

This would include survival books to pass on to the next generation(s).

James, do you have any time line of your own in mind on when you think you
might find yourself in a position to have to close your own front gates?