homestead - Re: [Homestead] More on Gold

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More on Gold
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 10:30:38 -0500

Here is a thought for you "Gold" collectors...

I don't have gold.
I don't know anyone around me who has gold.
There are some rather wealthy people around, but their wealth is in
land, not gold.

Bob, you mention that gold has potential to purchase things of
value,,,,I can tell you right now, that ITSHTF (and this is the case you
are talking about), the last thing I would trade for would be gold. I
guarantee you that I would have whatever it is that you need, and yet, I
would not trade you. Gold would do me no good. It's about as good as
confederate money in these parts-it has about as much value in my world.
If I took it from you, then I would be stuck with it, because no one I
trade with would take it.
So there you'd be, walking around with your gold, looking for someone to
trade with, looking for someone who values gold the way you do. In
order to do this, you must ask, make offers, etc., basically announce to
the world that you have gold to trade. In doing that, you make yourself
a target for those whom you seem to fear the most-the rampaging,
marauding sheeple working class/underclass, because they have lived hand
to mouth in the city, and they, too, value the gold the way you do. The
lust for it has been conditioned in people. They will want your gold
because they mistakenly believe as you do, that it will improve their
situation. After all, it would have in the past, and they think it will
be the same in the future. It is just ironic that the very thing you
save and invest in, is the very thing that will lead you to your fears.
Because the sheeple of the world, don't see much value in my mason
jars full of dried beans and seeds, but they do see that shiny gold
brick of yours.

I would think that the only folks willing to trade for gold would be
other formerly wealthy city people who have stocked up and hoarded
supplies. Those guys would be well entrenched, and if you didn't know
and make arrangements before TSHF, good luck on finding and dealing with
them afterwards. Most likely, they will be the targets of those
revolting hordes of sheeple, and once they are gone, the sheeple will
turn to you and others who seem to be wealthier than they are. Again,
no one will make the mental adaptation that gold no longer has value
when it comes to survival skills.

Anyway, I just wanted to give people something to think about.

Bev

bobf wrote:
Ray, your line of thinking is not just prudent; it is smart. The primary value of holding gold or any other currency is for its potential use to purchase things or services of value , some of which
you have listed.