homestead - Re: [Homestead] Another book for Bev

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Another book for Bev
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 20:09:11 -0800 (PST)

Lynda, the Pima (O'odham like the papago) have the higfhest rate of diabetes
of any group on earth. They don't live in Four Corners; they are Sonoran
Desert Indians. They live in Phoenix, too. They just won some kind of big,
big, lawsuit to get river water diverted back to their land so they can eat
their natural food like what you were tslking.

It is a very big deal here.

Some big ag and politicians didn't eant thm to have and 'waste' all of that
water. Treaties, it is all about treaties. They won, the river will be
diverted. There have been a couple of PBS documnetaries about the Pima,
their stolen water, and their terrible problem with diabstes. 'not trying to
correct you; obviously you lnow more about Indians in general, but Pima and
diabetes are well known news in Arizona........................