homestead - [Homestead] pressure canners

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] pressure canners
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 23:35:03 -0500

All this talk of pressure canning..I pulled all of mine out of the cabinet/shelves, and came them a good cleaning and once over. I've never canned venison, but lisa has me thinking about it and IF I were to get a deer, canning it would be something new to try.

Found this site where I looked up the models of mine and got new manuals.
http://tinyurl.com/5dpbsd

Because I only do this one a year or so, I always need refresher courses in it, so I want the manuals. I know the old manuals are around here somewhere, but I can't find them.

Taking inventory, all parts seem to be there, I have all the plugs and weights and pan inserts. The gaskets look okay, perhaps the worst one is the Mirror 4 quart pot.

Mirror 4 quart 15 weight... No canning done in this pot...cooking only. I could not find a mirror canner that looked like mine.

Presto 8-Quart Aluminum Pressure Cooker 01282
I have cooked small batches in this pot-2-3 jars at once.

Presto 23 Qt. Pressure Cooker 01781 http://tinyurl.com/5dpbsd
The big canner that I only use outside.

“Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda