homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fitness

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fitness
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 08:47:44 EST

> >Well, I tell myself that I am getting more whole grains...lol

Whole grains rule, and no mistake. Just as I say that no one can engage in
the sort of homestead labor I am talking about and be fat, no one, says I,
can
eat only whole grains and be obese. You can overeat and gain 10% to 20%
above
your ideal weight, but you could not manage obesity.

Likewise potatoes are a whole food (whole potatoes are, at any rate). I defy
anyone to try to get fat eating potatoes without adding refined foods to them
(alas, butter and sour cream are refined foods). When I've bade fair to
slip beyond what I know to be the healthy limit to my weight, I've used the
potato diet for at least one meal a day. All the whole potatoes you want but
no
refined foods with them. So the potato gets maybe half a spoon of some fine
olive oil, some shoyu, cracked pepper, etc. and then you can eat all you
want,
no limit. You simply can't ingest enough to get too many calories unless
you
sit nearly comatose the rest of the day.

Go for the whole grains, you simply can't do any better. It is the very
type of food that triggers the body into thinking that it has no need for
stored
fat. But look kindly on the spud as well.

James