homestead - Re: [Homestead] Anti-Doctor

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Anti-Doctor
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 11:57:47 -0500

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:34 AM, <Bunjov AT aol.com> wrote:

> But I can't let the 'anti-doctor' comment pass by. So glad to meet another!

Count me in for all but real emergencies.

> I can't begin to recount how many times I've been prescribed conflicting
> medications...by the same physician - sitting right there in front of me,
> consulting his dog-eared edition of the PDR...

True story. My husband's father was diagnosed with Parkinson's 7/2007. He's
been taking a fistful of meds several times a day ever since, on top of his
regular meds for BiPolar, which he was diagnosed with 20 years ago. He's had
numerous complications and have not been able to get the Parkinson's under
control.

Between early October and just before Thanksgiving, he spent five weeks
(on/off) in the hospital where they reduced his meds one by one to all but
one BiPolar med.

Now they aren't even sure if he has Parkinson's or what might be wrong other
than BiPolar. Now they think, still guessing, that perhaps the psychotropic
meds had begun to interfere with each other and produced side effects that
mimicked Parkinson's. He is going in for more tests next month. The up side
is that he may not have Parkinson's after all. That's the silver lining, but
how can you have confidence and trust in the doctor after that? Just makes
me think they know how to treat deal with broken legs and whatnot, but the
rest is just guessing since each person's chemistry is different.

Lisa