homestead - Re: [Homestead] Anti-Doctor

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Anti-Doctor
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:04:02 -0500

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Lynn Wigglesworth
<lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>wrote:

> I watch my mother's doctors do that all the time. They look up the
> symptoms,
> give her a medication, then 2 more to counteract the side effects. She has
> total trust in doctors and doesn't ever question anything they do. She just
> had a radical mastectomy because they found one tiny nodule...they removed
> it in a biopsy, and it was cancerous, to they took the whole breast, even
> though nothing else showed up in a mamogram or MRI. I guess they figured
> that at 92, she didn't need the breast anymore. I tried to question it,
> but
> was roundly 'shushed' by the doctor and my mother.

Surgery provides income for the surgeon. At your Mom's age, recovery is
slower and it just seems not right to my mind to do that to a person unless
it is truly necessary.

> I take a lot of responsibility for my health
>
> I like the principles of Chinese medicine, and just this week found a (sort
> of) local practitioner...if I need help, that's where I'd go.

Ditto here. We are lucky in that we have a Chinese medicine doc here in our
county, he even has apprenticeship programs and has established a school. He
has already trained a few people.

My husband's L5 disc which is 1/4 of the correct size has not acted up to
cause him to be flat on his back in 5 years. This is thanks to proper
exercise and stretching, to the Chinese medicine doc, the accupuncture, the
tuina (deep massage) and the herbs he applies and/or drinks in tea form.

lkvp