homestead - Re: [Homestead] Infrastructure jobs for workers

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Infrastructure jobs for workers
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 12:39:49 -0500

I am optimistic that our food production system will become localized.
All data regarding available land and government direction leads me to
pessimism. The few huge corporations that now control the food system
will retain their control and keep the present system until it becomes
more profitable to change.

Therefore my view that the highway system is not only necessary but
productive and will continue thus for a long time.

I had hopes that the high fuel cost would force the issue. If shipped food became too expensive, local food production would pick up the slack. I've talked to a lot of people around here who would love to farm, but "can't make a living" doing it. If enterprizing people could make a livable income farming, many more would. But the 'cheap food' policy has to end; as long as they can ship a tomato from California or Florida to Pennsylvania and sell it for $1.59/pound (the price this week at the BiLo), we won't have much local food. I can't compete with that price.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA