homestead - [Homestead] Infrastructure jobs for workers

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Infrastructure jobs for workers
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 10:30:42 -0700

The trouble with Obama's plan is that it assumes we are going to go back to a
business model and lifestyle that has been in place for 40 years. It's had
its day and now it's done. Food production and food delivery must per force
change now in the new reality.

You know that I am a big fan of locavorism. You also know that I see it happening very slowly; I recently made the comparison to organic-- it will happen over decades, not a few years.

I am optimistic that our food production system will become localized. All data regarding available land and government direction leads me to pessimism. The few huge corporations that now control the food system will retain their control and keep the present system until it becomes more profitable to change.

Therefore my view that the highway system is not only necessary but productive and will continue thus for a long time.