homestead - Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 11:50:02 EST

In a message dated 12/8/2008 11:25:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
genegerue AT ruralize.com writes:

> >Degrade it as make-work if you will, the highway system is productive;
> it brings in much money through fuel taxes.

Used to, Gene, used to.

>Those eighteen-wheelers

> moving groceries from California to Pennsylvania pay serious and
> disproportionate contributions to the upkeep of highways that we all
> use. If those highways deteriorate that income decreases and those
> groceries on Pennsylvania supermarket shelves become more expensive.

The trouble with Obama's plan is that it assumes we are going to go back to a
business model and lifestyle that has been in place for 40 years. It's had
its day and now it's done. Food production and food delivery must per force
change now in the new reality. Obama might well be advocating refiting
whaling
ships to revive that once thriving trade and indespensible commodity.

James