homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tractor question, please

  • From: Mogrits <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tractor question, please
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 22:21:05 -0500

For occasional use as you describe, and the heaviest work being
brush-hogging, I'd suggest an older gasoline powered tractor. As you
may have noticed, anything John Deere green commands a premium these
days. Diesels run infrequently are more likely to give problems than a
similar gasoline engine, and in recent memory gasoline is cheaper and
more plentiful than diesel.

A good website and group of guys to question can be found at
www.atis.net It is a mailing list and the homepage also has links to
their message boards- which would be the fastest place to find your
answer.

I think you could find more tractor with cheaper parts and service and
more attachments for that kind of money. Probably two tractors for
that price. Perhaps even three... (They breed).

If you buy an older tractor just add the cost of ROPS (roll-over
protection system, basically the roll-bar) if it doesn't already have
one. That would be the precaution for the roling terrain.

If you are set on the green model, the brakes will not be particularly
expensive, and likely only need adjustment anyway.

Another good site is www.yesterdaystractors.com

Warren