homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tractor question, please

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tractor question, please
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 08:51:42 -0600

> We have an opportunity to buy a John Deere 750 tractor. It's 4WD with
> Diesel Yanmar engine, a 1984 model with 638 hours.

That is a low hours tractor. The entire tractor was built by Yanmar for
John Deere and there are almost no parts interchangeability with Yanmar
tractors. Yanmar has a very good reputation for a robust reliable tractor.
That is why John Deere choose them for their entrance into the compact
tractor market.

> It comes with a bush hog, blade and scoop. It's supposed to "run well"
> but may need brakes in the future.

Start it up cold and listen very carefully for all the noises. Any knocking
from the lower end that goes away with oil pressure is a concern. Look for
smoke. Black is normal until warmed up. White and gray are not normal.
Look in the radiator at the water. If there is any scum floating that is
another cause for concern. Look at the oil. Diesels dirty the oil quickly
but look for any gray. Feel the oil for any roughness. Smell the oil for
burning. Drive it around to get it warm then try all gears and hydraulics.
I suspect with less than 700 hours if if has had any maintenance at all it
is in good condition.

Brakes. I do not know that tractor. If it has dry brakes at the end of the
axle, then they are no more difficult to replace than a car. If they are at
the inside end of the axle or wet brakes then they become more difficult but
still not a big deal. Remember that anything painted green with yellow
wheels will cost more to repair but there is a large secondary parts market
through places like TSC.

Sounds to me a good deal. Craig's List is like any other classified, what
ever deal is between buyer and seller. If you can beat them down on price
then all the better. Go for it.

Don Bowen KI6DIU