homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tractor question, please

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tractor question, please
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 20:55:32 -0500

How are the tires? Do you know anyone that can check out the engine?
You should have a someone that can service a JD locally. Check that.

You can negotiate price all you want on Craigslist. It's a classified
ad. I'd sniff out the seller and offer low. Times are tough and they
may need cash. I saw a couple of this model on eBay. Check them out,
that's going to give you a little comparison.

This is a 20 hp tractor is that enough power for you? It may be. My
Kubota is 30 hp and I wish I'd gotten a little more powerful tractor.
It's at it's limit pulling a breaking plow through tough sod.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a horse, but as long as there is
fuel, I like my tractor. It's the best investment I've made here. It's
one that requires maintenance. I do oil changes, etc. I bought a
manual and shop guide on Ebay and that helps me with repairs. I just
had it in the shop and spent $600 on it. It's like a car in that
respect. I'm always charging the battery or doing something on it.

I like the idea of a scythe and using horse power, but in reality, I
like my tractor and bush hog.

Rob - Va