homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tractor question, please

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tractor question, please
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 07:58:44 -0500

I have a 1956 Allis Chalmers. It's beat up and old, but does everything I need it to. I think it cost about $2000, and I've probably put at least $1000 into an engine rebuild and other repairs in the 10 years or so that I've had it. Make sure you can either fix it yourself or you can find a good tractor mechanic...one of the best in the county lives only a mile or so from here. He's taken pity on mechanically-challenged me and will even come over to do quick fixes.

A tractor is a very useful thing, even on a smallish place. I've found that there is a lot of heavy work that can't be done by anything less than a tractor. I use the bucket on the front of mine a LOT, and wouldn't have a tractor without one. We've used it to lift someone up high enough to pick apples, to lift a building while we fixed the foundation, and to carry everything from loads of fence posts to dead animals. It also has rear hydrolics...I use the bale spear throughout the winter to get hay to the animals. I couldn't use the cheaper big round bales without that bale spear. (well, last year when the tractor wasn't running, I threw chains around the bales and dragged them with the truck, but that was a real pain, and I couldn't get far into the pasture without getting stuck...).

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>