homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tractor question, please

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tractor question, please
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 08:57:38 -0600

I bought a tractor this last summer. I had asked on another list with no
response until about a month later someone emailed me to ask if I was still
looking. They passed on the email address of the owner and after a bit of
back and forth I bought it. It is a 1965 Ford 3000 with a King Kutter brush
hog. I paid $2600 for the outfit. It had problems with the lift but has
plenty of power for a 5 ft brush hog cutting Missouri brush.

I bought a lift cover rebuild kit for $15 and the proper load spring for $30
and repaired the lift problem. It is a very good running tractor and well
worth the money. As I took it apart to fix the lift cover I realized that
is is a very low hours tractor and may be only the 1200 shown on the non
working tachometer. One of next summers jobs is to fix the tach. Also an
early project is to repair brakes on a backhoe.

Don Bowen KI6DIU