homestead - Re: [Homestead] Heinlein, was SE PA going

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Heinlein, was SE PA going
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 11:24:35 EST

> >Seriously, I'm begiinning to think I know little of 'American' culture,
> *anywhere*, anymore. What I said , was true, of much of the bible belt,
> years
> ago.

That's the thing, Bob, it wasn't. Keep in mind I'm older than you and I've
been here all along. Just as there is the go to church three times a week
and
pray over the moon pie and RC cola types, they have their counterpart in
equal
numbers who never darken the doors of a church for fear the roof would fall
in on them. These roles are passed back and forth. There's little reason to
be uber-righteous unless there is uber-apostate with which to contast it.

Get two or three uber-righteous together and they try to out-sinner each
other.

"Boys, before I got saved, I was bad ... really bad! I went throught express
line with more than ten items and didn't return tools I'd borrowed ..."

"Oh, yeah, well before I found Jesus, I used to drink milk right out of the
carton ..."

"That's nothing, I punched my BIL in the nose ...."

"Well, I KILLED my BIL."

"Oh, yeah, well Jesus did more for me than that, I ...eh .... was a member of
a Satanic group...."

"Yeah, well before I was saved I laid waste to two thrid world countries and
ran a brothel that supplied goats to the deranged ...."

"But I used to believe in evolution ......."

When I hear blanket statements about everyone going to church whether they
are a believer or not ... I can only conclude that the statement is born of a
cliche view of the South and not actual exposure to it."

James