homestead - Re: [Homestead] Heinlein, was SE PA going

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Heinlein, was SE PA going
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 09:33:44 EST

> >With a church on every corner and several im between surely someone must
> go to them. In my almost 30 years in TN I have been invited to attend more
> churches than I could ever count.

And yet, right there in the heart of the Bible Belt, right at the foot of the
cross, there are more people who never go to church than do.

Here on the tiny sparce very rural mountain road where I live, the road and
its even tinier tributaries, host two churches. Neither is as big as a
garage.
Going back into the forest to the state line and taking in Camp Ridge Road,
Nettie Hill Road, Dollar Hollow (the two words rhyme), and Outlaw Hollow,
there are at last count 23 households. Three of them are the entire
congregation
of one church and four of them the other. The rest are the unwashed heathen
non-church-attenders.

The notion of universal church attendance in the South is a myth.

James