homestead - Re: [Homestead] Heinlein, was SE PA going

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Heinlein, was SE PA going
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 23:11:52 -0800

I grew up in a very gender roll neutral family. Looking back, considering that Grampa was born in the 1860s, and my Dad in the 1920s, it is nothing short of amazing. For us, it was normal.

Grampa insisted that all the girls (daughters and granddaughters) know how to saw, hammer, hitch a team, use a gun, clean a fish, deer, etc.

My Dad insisted that we know how to do everything with a car AND a motorcycle. One of my first "jobs" was official washer of nuts and bolts when an engine on a Harley was being rebuilt. I was 4 or 5. I knew what a torque wrench was before I could count to 100 <g> We all had to know how to do simple electrical wiring and what a "j" is and so forth and so on.

Gramma insisted that all the boys (sons and grandsons) be able to sew, knit and crochet, cook and bake right along with us girls. She was born in 1892.

Then I found out that wasn't the norm. Boy was that a rude awakening!