homestead - Re: [Homestead] Vegetarian diet was Fennel

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Vegetarian diet was Fennel
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 21:53:51 -0800

Youngest spent several years being a vegetarian. She tried vegan but the vegans she talked to were so rude she gave that up. She tried all the veggie burgers (Morningstar, Boca, etc.) until she read the labels (she's been a label reader since she learned to read) and then she decided that was as bad as buying grocery store beef.

The one Thanksgiving (pre-label reading), she had Tofurkey. It had less junk in it than the more common Morningstar, Boca and Gardenburgers.

But most of Thanksgiving is vegetarian. Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, peas, cranberry sauce, rolls, fruit salad, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and stuffing can be. We tweeked a vegetable broth into a gravy that tasted pretty darn close to the turkey gravy, and she used that on her stuffing (minus the giblets). For the "meat," she had a grilled mushroom.

I saw something on the food channel that looked pretty good. It was
some kind of veggie loaf that was made of mixed veggies, pureed, then
dehydrated into a slice-able loaf. It was totally raw, and because of
the nuts and whole grains in it and on it, I would have tried it in a
flash, and probably would have liked it. The show pondered what
Vegetarians eat on Thanksgiving, and that was one of the dishes showcased.