homestead - Re: [Homestead] Vegetarian diet was Fennel

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Vegetarian diet was Fennel
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:55:31 -0500

I saw something on the food channel that looked pretty good. It was
some kind of veggie loaf that was made of mixed veggies, pureed, then
dehydrated into a slice-able loaf. It was totally raw, and because of
the nuts and whole grains in it and on it, I would have tried it in a
flash, and probably would have liked it. The show pondered what
Vegetarians eat on Thanksgiving, and that was one of the dishes showcased.

Quorn www.quorn.com (my favorite, made from mycoprotein ie. fungus
and tastes like chicken-patties, cutlets, tenders) Morningstar Farms
www.seeveggiesdifferently.com (steak strips (husband's favorite),
chicken strips, sausage patties, links, fake bacon, bratworst and
Italian sausages) Boca www.bocaburger.com (most meatlike burgers) LightLife http://www.lightlife.com/product_category.jsp?c=deli (pepperoni, turkey, balogna, ham lunchmeat) White Wave
http://www.tofutown.net/index.php?sid=Products (wheat meat, tempe,
seitan, baked tofu, tofu)

I used to work in frozen foods, so I am familiar with these products.
The one thing I would always ask is why non-meat products are made to
look like meat if meat is so disgusting? It seems counter intuitive
to me...If I don't eat cow dung, I sure as heck don't want my food
looking like cow dung, ya know?
One of the things I really liked about that loaf above is that it did
not try to mimic and therefore compete with anything else, taste wise.
It would be new and exciting flavors, all on its own.

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda