homestead - Re: [Homestead] Heinlein, was

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Heinlein, was
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 17:42:31 -0500

I find that I just don't value the things that others value. Even my
best friend sometimes seems alien to me, and I to her. She's more of an
instant gratification kind of girl, wants big shrubbery now, and I am
more the type to get a cutting from you, grow it into a plant that could
be transplanted into the foundation landscape two years from now.
She has Plow and Hearth on her coffee table, I have John Jeavon's How to
Grow More Vegetables...Her family has a Wii fit, Hughesnet, cellphones,
ATV's and other avenues of 'entertainment'; we have dialup and a game of
Titan sitting on the kitchen table, and a chess board on the coffee
table. I could spend hours with my granddaughter in my 70x100 ft
garden. A spends hours in her truck, taking her boys to school,
wrestling practice, football practice, games, meetings, detention, etc.
I'm fanatical about saving water and electricity and money in general,
and everyone else I see doesn't think twice about how many times they
flush a toilet or whether or not the extra electricity will be worth it
in eggs and meat.
I just feel like I am from Venus sometimes...
When I worked, it was worse. The only people who I felt a connection
with were the Hispanic guys, and it was a mutual liking. The rest of
the employees were the modern equivalent of yuppies or were like my
immediate boss, elitist wannabes. I just don't fit in in that world
anymore. The problem with working outside the home is that everyday,
you are reminded of how odd you are, and you just never feel good about
anything, especially yourself.

Bev

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

Every few months I think that I need to get out and meet people. I join the garden club, or photography club, go to a couple meetings, and am bored silly. Almost everyone I meet is married and has to rush
home to the hubby and kids. Any activities with them involves dragging the kids and their husband along. I joined a county planning
group; it was interesting, but very professional and I only saw the
people during the meetings. I tried dating a couple times, and that
was even more disappointing. My life is boring, but I don't mind, either. I don't often get lonely, and have plenty to keep me busy.

There are a couple of women around the county who are kindred spirits
with me, but they are always so busy that we can't get together very
often. My neighbors are either rich retirees or work 60-hour weeks in an office and are never home; they hire people to do their yardwork, so they aren't the types I could be a 'homestead community'
with. It wasn't like that when I moved here.

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda