homestead - Re: [Homestead] Home brew book

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Home brew book
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 20:29:51 EST

> >We have something in common; I like Dr. Pepper. I drink a bottle two
> to four times a month back home, although here, rarely. Nice flavor.

If this has never come up before, who can remember?? Dr Pepper, the actual
Doctor, had his practice right here in Bristol, Tennessee.

Do they still have the ten-two-and-four thing on the logo? Dr. C.T. Pepper
was a health advocate and at his practice/drug store on State Street (the
main
street of Bristol whose east bound lane is in Tennessee and west bound lane
is
in Virginia, hence State Street) was famous for a huge carboy of water he had
hauled in from Greene Co. (where Jeanne lives) every few days. He advocated
flushing the system with water and had a 20 oz. beaker he filled and drained
three times a day at 10, 2, and 4.

In the 1870's he closed the drug store and moved a few miles up the road to
Rual Retreat, Va. where he opened a new drug store. There he formulated Dr
Pepper for his soda fountain. His very young daughter was enamored with an
employee, one Charles Alderton, who stole the formula and repaired to Waco
Texas in
1885 where he claimed it to be his own.

To this day Dr Pepper Co. (Dr Pepper/Snapple) does not officially
acknowledge the actual origin of the soft drink. Buch of low lives! Although
on several
other unofficial websites at least the head of Dr Pepper correctly attributes
the name to the original C.T. Pepper of Rural Retreat.

James