homestead - Re: [Homestead] Let's begin -- same rules apply

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Let's begin -- same rules apply
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 11:43:28 -0700

It isn't that we all have an opportunity to be rich, he
recognizes that there aren't enough resurces in the world for us all to even be as rich
as we are now.

Quite right. But the possibility, the belief, the motivation, is what makes our free enterprise system highly productive.

What government needs to do is get out of the way of people's
opportunties. That's the thing we haven't yet tried. We have tried the
government induced "opportunities" and they just flat don't work. In fact they most
often produce the opposite than intended affect.

He comes from an understanding of a culture that could never succeed without government intervention. If government had stayed out of the way of equal rights, blacks would still be counted as three-fifths of a person and not even allowed to vote, let alone pursue their dreams.

And, James, surely you see that the current economic distress at least partially comes from government nonintervention. Government did get out of the way of much of Wall Streeters. The result is disastrous.

James, you really should be a lyricist. Really. Lovely poetics but
more romantic than realistic.

Ah, don't count it out just yet. One can often say in poetry what one durst
not in sober prose. As you have said, Obama is not verbose on details. But,
young man that he is, he did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday. He has
written quite a bit and embraces Black Liberation Theology, tenets of Marxism,
and is quite unabashed about wealth redistribution. He was quite clear that
he felt the failure of the Civil Rights Movement was that it did not change
the Constitution to go beyond the "negative liberties" of defining what the
government could NOT do and begin to list what it is obligated to do.

This is the 'left hand' punch to which I alluded. If Obama is not planning
on continuing along those lines, he will be dumping 30 years of his statements
and writings and sentiments as a superfluous load and starting over from
scratch. THAT is unrealistic.

We shall see. There is much room between hope and deed.