homestead - Re: [Homestead] Let's begin -- same rules apply

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Let's begin -- same rules apply
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:38:58 EST

> >And, James, surely you see that the current economic distress at least
> partially comes from government nonintervention. Government did get
> out of the way of much of Wall Streeters. The result is disastrous.

That's a trick question but it illustrates my point very well. The current
economic distress comes from the government intervening severely, then
backing
off on some of those interventions to the unfair benefit of a few, with
predictably disasterous results.

It's the old bit about breaking someone's legs and thens saying that if you
don't give the crutches, they will never walk. Don't break their legs to
begin
with!

Just like that the the lack of opportunities for blacks has always been the
result of government intervention. The very great population of
"disadvantage"
is a direct result of the War on Poverty and Great Society of the '60's.

Remember in the Civil Rights era, it wasn't a bunch of klansmen in hoods that
tear gassed, jailed, fire hosed, beat, and turned the dogs loose on the
demonstrators, it WAS the government.

There was an old Artie Johnson skit on the very old Laugh-In program where he
was a scruffy, disheveled sawed off pirate. The best line was where he and
his scurvy crew were studying a map and he intones (as he steps off the
paces)
"Let's see, mates, two steps to the right, one step forw'd, two steps to the
left, one step backwards .... arrrr ... this be the last time I buy a
treasure
map from Arthur Murry!" (Gotta be old to get this one). Anothe skit was
where
he had the kidnapped governors's daughter tied to the mast and she says:
"You wait until the King's navy hears about this!"
To which Johnson replies in the gravelly pirate voice.
"Harr, we BE the King's navy!"

Like that, had there not been government backing for the abuses, there would
have been no need for the Civil Rights movement and it's even more invasive
further government intervention.

THAT, Gene, says I, is the entire Merry-go-Round we are on, it's the same
left punch, then right punch, then left punch again we have endured for much
of
our history. You don't correct the problems of govenment intervention with
still more government intervention.

You cannot, I say, give me an example where we need government interference
(outside of torts) except to attempt to correct other government interference.