homestead - Re: [Homestead] Let's begin -- same rules apply

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Let's begin -- same rules apply
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 10:34:47 -0700

On Nov 5, 2008, at 9:52 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Obama believes his own schtick as well (and so far, it seems you believe his
schtick). The only reason some people are poor is because the rich have too
much. If we just took some of that stuff from the rich, there would be plenty
to give to the poor, the old 'divide up the pie' ploy. History and reality
firmly remind us that this is not true. Once you start sticking your finger in
to someone else's pie, they stop baking pies.

I am with you on that and I see no indication that Obama is not, also. I see him as wanting everyone to have the opportunity to become one of the rich. Yes, opportunity will require some government program and, yes, it will cost something. We will not know for some time the specifics of his programs nor now well they work to their desired end.

All jibbing aside (for this post only) and being straight for once, set aside
all the 'yes we can' and 'change the changes' and 'he's a decent man' and all
that empty rhetoric. What is Obama going to do? From what we've seen so far
it is a rehash of the worst of the New Deal and the Great Society.

I don't know what he will try. I believe he will earnestly and honestly try to make all Americans have equal opportunity. Under Bush, we have been moving toward a stratified class system, more at the top of the pile, fewer in the middle, more at the bottom. I don't think you liked that any more than I did.

That is, by Bush (and ilk) facilitating the worst of the greedy instintcs of
the American people, he has delivered us an almighty right hand blow with his
fist of iron. Now, Obama facilitating all the worst of our dependent and
slothful instincts, is winding up to give us an almighty left hand blow with his
fist of steel.

James, you really should be a lyricist. Really. Lovely poetics but more romantic than realistic.

The only bright spot in this is that as the Obama administration undwinds,
perhaps we sill at long last look up from our punch drunk haze and say with
bloodied lips, "Enough of this!" and quit this left-right destructive punching
we've experienced our entire lifetimes.

Yeah, I have hope, too.

Imagine, for one insane moment, what could be accomplished if we had a substantial number of statesmen who selflessly served the nation. What's it been, two-and-a-half centuries?

I've not seen the count, who knows how many incumbents were thrown out?