homestead - Re: [Homestead] Kerosene

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Kerosene
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 14:58:11 -0800

*They* say the same as diesel which is about 12 months. Although, that said, I've had kerosene under the kitchen counter for years for the lamps and it's just fine.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

Does anyone have experience?

So far, I like propane because there is no issue of shelf life. With
gas or diesel, one needs to add conditioners and worry about
condensation.

'Course, we homesteaders all like wood as we can produce it and it is
a renewable. But its Btu rating does deteriorate with age. So when I
am 102 and dropping trees and swinging a splitting maul is becoming
onerous, those stacks between the yard trees are losing it every day
and I am unlikely to feel much like replenishment beyond another brew
or three.