homestead - Re: [Homestead] Kerosene

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Kerosene
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 22:12:29 -0400

> What is the Btu equivalence with propane?

Kerosene - 134,000 BTU/Gallon
Propane - 91,600 BTU/Gallon

For a cost comparison

((Cost per unit of fuel * 1,000,000)/BTUs per unit of fuel)/ (heating
efficiency Assume 85%)

Ie
Kerosene
Cost per gallon times one million divided by 134,000. Divide result
by 85%

Propane
Cost per gallon times one million divided by 91,600. Divide result
by 85%.

The local bulk price for propane is $2.70 gallon. That works out to over
$34 per million BTUs and I suspect my efficiency is well unfer 85%.

The local bulk price for Kerosene is $3.50 gallon. That works out to over
$31 per million BTUs

Looks like kerosene is the cheaper fuel here in North Carolina but it would
not make much of a price increase to shift the balance.

Don Bowen KI6DIU