homestead - Re: [Homestead] Kerosene

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Kerosene
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 08:07:55 -0500

> Much younger? This is always such a curiosity to me. I am, of course,
> younger than you, but only by about six years. Is that 'much' younger?

You will be surprised what a few years difference will make. I am also
thinking of now as a base knowing the next 20 years will have their own
affect.

I helped cut and split six large logs this last summer. Most were wind
blown Oak and a couple of Hickories. We used a chain saw to section the
logs then a splitter. It was a several hour job for three of us. Not
particularly difficult, just hard work. Many years ago I spent two long
days cutting and splitting a log truck load of logs. I was much younger but
still ached for several days after.

The intervening years were spent at an office job so not splitting with a
maul is a job best left to those who want to do it that way.

Go to Sept 22 to see what we were doing.
http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/September%2008/week%20four.h
tml

Here is the setup we used.
http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/September%2008/images/lori.j
pg

Lori and myself at the splitter
http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/September%2008/images/done.j
pg

Jeff and myself watching someone else work.
http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/September%2008/images/friend
s.jpg

Don Bowen KI6DIU