homestead - Re: [Homestead] Kerosene

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Kerosene
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 19:10:29 -0700

On Nov 1, 2008, at 6:58 PM, Shepperd wrote:

One gallon of propane will produce 91,600 Btu's. One gallon of
kerosene will produce 134,000 Btu's of energy when burned, which
makes it similar to diesel or gasoline.

I don't know how long kerosene will keep.

Does anyone have experience?

So far, I like propane because there is no issue of shelf life. With gas or diesel, one needs to add conditioners and worry about condensation.

'Course, we homesteaders all like wood as we can produce it and it is a renewable. But its Btu rating does deteriorate with age. So when I am 102 and dropping trees and swinging a splitting maul is becoming onerous, those stacks between the yard trees are losing it every day and I am unlikely to feel much like replenishment beyond another brew or three.