homestead - Re: [Homestead] Kerosene

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Kerosene
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 22:29:02 -0400

> > I don't know how long kerosene will keep.
> Does anyone have experience?

Kerosene is very similar to Diesel fuel so the same storage requirements
follow. Diesel and kerosene both are subject to moisture and algae growth
in long term storage but both store better than gasoline.

Hardwood is around 24,000,000 BTU per cord.
Softwood is around 18,000,000 BTU per cord.

That splitting maul stuff is for people much younger than me. I will aim for
a tractor mounted hydraulic splitter.

Don Bowen KI6DIU