homestead - Re: [Homestead] Kerosene

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Kerosene
  • Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:18:01 -0700

The algae only grows in the water, so if you keep the container sealed moisture should stay out and microorganisms will not be a problem. The kerosene I have used has either been in a kerosene heater which uses a wick or a kerosene light which uses a wick. With both of those ways moisture is not a problem, so long time storage in 5 gal sealed containers is not a problem. I have never heard of kerosene gelling in the really cold like diesel will.
That makes a kerosene heater a good emergency source of heat in our situation.

Rob
becida AT comcast.net

At 11/1/2008 07:29 PM,Don Bowen wrote:
> > I don't know how long kerosene will keep.
> Does anyone have experience?

Kerosene is very similar to Diesel fuel so the same storage requirements
follow. Diesel and kerosene both are subject to moisture and algae growth
in long term storage but both store better than gasoline.

Don Bowen KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage