homestead - Re: [Homestead] Kerosene

  • From: Shepperd <shepperd AT mail2.pvco.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Kerosene
  • Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:58:35 -0500

At 08:29 PM 11/1/2008, Gene GeRue wrote:

On Nov 1, 2008, at 6:07 PM, Rob wrote:

> I have a kerosene heater for backup heat. I'd used kerosene for heat
> before and knew about the smell, I have 4 gallons of "odorless"
> kerosene heater fuel in case it's needed. I tried it two winters back
> and it worked well.

What is the Btu equivalence with propane?

How long does it keep without deterioration?

One gallon of propane will produce 91,600 Btu's. One gallon of kerosene will produce 134,000 Btu's of energy when burned, which makes it similar to diesel or gasoline.

I don't know how long kerosene will keep.

Jerry S.