homestead - Re: [Homestead] Kerosene

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Kerosene
  • Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 21:20:04 -0400

I don't know what kind of fuel we have-whether it is the odorless kind or not. The heater was a gift that came with a 5 gallon can of kerosene. It has come in handy in the greenhouse in Spring. The can is almost empty, so I probably ought to get some more fuel, but I'm not paying those prices.
Can't you buy kerosene at some gasoline stations? Maybe where you buy propane? I guess that is the type that smells bad?

Rob wrote:
I have a kerosene heater for backup heat. I'd used kerosene for heat before and knew about the smell, I have 4 gallons of "odorless" kerosene heater fuel in case it's needed. I tried it two winters back and it worked well.

When I bought the 'odorless fuel' it was a lot less than what wm had it for today. The last time I bought kerosene in Minnesota I went to a bulk dealer and pumped the 10 gallons and it was a lot less than the prepackaged.

Rob
becida AT comcast.net