homestead - [Homestead] Nessmuk, was Crock Pot thread

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Nessmuk, was Crock Pot thread
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 21:54:20 -0400

On Oct 29, 2008, at 11:13 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:...

"... we got out the meal-bag and made drammach in the iron pan.... it is the chief stand-by of those who have taken to the heather."
(From Robert L. Stevens' 'Kidnapped')

This literary nugget reminded me of another book perhaps well known to the present company:

Woodcraft and Camping
By Nessmuk

It appears that Dover republished it in 1963. Copies can be had via bookfinder.com for less than $10. (The reversed title, "Camping and Woodcraft", will lead you astray.)

This book was written a LONG time ago, when Uh Murrica was quite wild, it seems, and hikers were MUCH stronger than I have ever been. So it advises that when your ax handle breaks, simply cut a 4 to 5 inch ash tree down and whittle a new one. Topics covered are from the whole range of subjects; packing, cooking, trapping and curing game, building shelters, and so on.

As we hear more nowadays: Folks, don't try some of these things at home.

Roy
Who bought an unused Army surplus pick-axe head, and needs a handle.

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
529 Cobb St.
Groton NY, 13073