homestead - Re: [Homestead] Nessmuk - camping

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Nessmuk - camping
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:43:25 -0400

I need to find this book. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Woodcraft and Camping By Nessmuk
Nessmuk was the pen name for George Sea and is a fascinating
person. He was a very small person at just over 5 feet and 100
pounds and often in poor health. He died in 1890 at 69. He was an
adventurer hunting and camping all over the east and later writing
for Forest and Stream as Nessmuk. He pushed ultra light camping at
a time when camping gear was a gun, knife, wool blankets, canvas
tents and cast iron cooking pots. His ultra light canoe Sairy Gamp
was built by Ruxton and was a marvel of ultra light construction
before fiberglass.

I find Nessmuk's writings great reading. There was a recent book
about a woman who retraced some of Sears journey in her own lightweight canoe, Fairly Damp.

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda