homestead - Re: [Homestead] Crock Pot thread

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Crock Pot thread
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 23:02:30 EDT

> >Steel Cut oats cook faster than whole grains but will do in a pinch.
> They come in a fancy steel tin from Scotland or some place (McCanns).
> Avoid them because they cost maybe five times as much as the whole oat
> groats at your hippy food store bulk section.

Of course it is insane to buy oats in the Heathier-than-thou section. We buy
steel cut oats in 50 lb sacks from the coop or get the Mennonites to order it
for us. It costs exactly the same as "whole" oats.

Of course whole oats aren't. Whole that is. A more proper term from them is
"hulled oats". The only difference between steel cut oats (also called
'pin-head oats') and hulled oats is that the former has been broken into
three or
four pieces and cooks more quickly.

The flakes have been parboiled (steamed) and flattened between rollers and
then dried. Good for oatmeal cookies but little else.

James