homestead - Re: [Homestead] Crock Pot thread

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Crock Pot thread
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:25:02 -0700

At 10/29/2008 06:56 PM,Don Bowen wrote:
I have been given some cracked wheat, what can be done with those?

Don Bowen KI6DIU

Cracked wheat, boiling water, a thermos and breakfast popped into my head as soon as I ready this. I had to look the 'details' up.

http://www.bigoven.com/92135-Grains-Information---Whole-Wheat-recipe.html

>>WHOLE WHEAT Is ideal for cereals, soups, salads, main dishes. The usual proportions to cook are 1 part wheat to 2 parts water plus 1/2 - 1 tsp salt.

Wheat can be steamed, cooked in a crock pot, pressure cooker or successfully prepared by the oven method: OVEN: Preheat oven to 300F. combine wheat and water in a pan and bring to a boil. Boil 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and place in oven. Turn oven off. Leave wheat undisturbed overnight or for 8- 10 hours.

THERMOS METHOD: is easy, saves fuel and attention and gives a chewy product: Preheat 1 quart thermos with boiling water. Boil 1 cup wheat and 2 cups water for 3 minutes. Place in thermos, seal and let stand overnight. <<

A whole cup of cracked wheat sounds like a lot to me but with the 1:2 ratio you could reduce the amount.

Rob
becida AT comcast.net