homestead - Re: [Homestead] Things one could long for in the country

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Things one could long for in the country
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:46:50 -0400

On Oct 28, 2008, at 7:39 AM, Don Bowen wrote:

I think you will get more use out of a brush hog than a sickle bar mower.

It looks like that is the way to go.

You can keep sides of the lane mowed and the edges of fields. Be careful
near ponds where it is wet, getting stuck on not a lot of fun.

We expect to get some fences put in soon. I can save some money (more than the cutter will likely cost me) if I clear the fence lines for them.

From the pictures I think the hydrulics are more than likely a pump mounted
on the front of the engine and are for the front end loader. You will have
to plumb i... a valve and the quick disconneccts. unless there is an extra valve on the
control stand for the front end loader.

There are two hydraulic control valves installed. One is to raise and lower the plow/loader. The other is plugged off and not in use. That one would be used for the rear.

... The tractor has a front end loader
with the bucket removed ans a blade for snow installed.

Yes. the former owner did plow with it. That's about all I think. The thing has chains and Chloride in at least the rear wheels.

I did noe see anything othere than a tow hitch on your tractor.

That's right. It does have the accessory swinging draw bar that lets you put the pulling point to left or right of center.

... You will need
a tow behind. Its heigth is set by the ram raising or lowering the hitch
and rear wheels.

I'm sure that will be clear to me once I see one. Does the cutter deck rise and fall all the while being level?

Here is a King Cutter version
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200315415_200315415

I've heard of the Northern Tool company.. Are their things made in China?

Thanks for the links,

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net