homestead - Re: [Homestead] Music was Newsweek -

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Music was Newsweek -
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 23:55:57 -0400

bob ford wrote:
cool bev; thanks for putting the red arrow in the one pic. so, the
cleared looking area are where people live and all of the grey area
is forest?

All the pastures are 'cleared', but you gotta realize that one person can have more than one pasture. Also, the small pastures that are surrounded by lots of woods are greenfields put in for wildlife by the park service. You can't see my house in the picture because it is in tree cover, but you can see the house of my nearest neighbor. He's off to the WNW of me, little white dot at the mouth of the hollow. Do you see those cleared areas just to the north of me? One person owns that. Her house is also a white dot.... Also there are two ponds up there, but they are hard to see due to the season. BTW, in the picture with the arrow, you can see part of my loop if you look close. The loop is like a finger and there is a dirt cutover road at the knuckle joint. You can see the cutover and the top of the loop in that shot. That mini-loop is 4 miles. That large cleared, sandy looking area in the middle of the loop is my best friend's house/property. They built their house in 2005/2006, and you can definitely see that construction against the green backdrop.

There doesn't appear to be but a few people around you.
Do you have live water in all of that expanse of green? fishable
live water?

There are 11 residences in that picture with the arrow. 11 houses, but only 6 families. Relatives living nearby, you know.
Fishable? What looks like a pasture off to the southeast-weird pointy shape, is actually a pond. Good bass in that pond. The little ponds I mentioned above also are stocked.
In the big picture, you can't see them, but there are several large 50+ acre lakes owned by the scouts. People come from 100 miles away to fish in Lake Marvin, which is about 2 miles as the crow flies to the north. It's about 14 or 15 miles by road.
http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx?TrailID=XFA050-004
John's Creek, also in the big picture, is a stocked trout stream.
So yeah, fishing is good. There is also another good spot that is just out of the picture, a spring fed lake. The spring is on one side of the road and the lake the other. The spring looks swampy and there are some very large fish in there. I often go down to the Swamp and fish. it is on the loop.

I'm curious, how to you come to pick "place"?. I've looked and
bought and sold in different areas of the country, never can find
just what I want.

Perhaps, Bob, there is something holding you back that has nothing to do with the place.

Part of me says I should go back South, but the old Thomas Wolfe line
"you can never go home again" always comes back to me.

That's Bull. You can go home, you just shouldn't expect it to be like you remember...it might even be better.

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda