homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fall Happenings

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fall Happenings
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 01:24:46 -0400

A few weeks back we had a cold snap, two or three nights right at 40
degrees, but I saw 38 on my thermometer one morning. Then it warmed
back up with lows in the 50's. Tonight and tomorrow night, wunderground
says we should have lows in the upper 30's. Right now, I'm sitting here
barefoot and my toes are definitely cold. Right now, at 1:20 AM, it is
44 degrees on my porch. We haven't built a fire yet-usually our
guideline is when the temps drop below 40, but since it is still warming
up quickly, I'm just using a thicker quilt. There's no sense rushing
the season, it's more fun to snuggle up in a quilt and enjoy fall.
Tonight, I am enjoying some warmth from my heating pad. I just move it
from my back to my arm to my leg...lol..

Propane to dry corn??? Seriously? Is this a common practice? I wonder
how much fuel we use to dry crops a year? I had no clue that crops were
dried like that. I guess I always thought it was just allowed to dry
naturally. I guess I am showing my ignorance on the subject.

Bev, in NW Georgia, with sore muscles-forgot how heavy the chainsaw is!