homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fall Happenings

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fall Happenings
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 23:39:25 -0500

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 11:11 PM, <eureka AT hctc.net> wrote:
> We are getting down to the low 50's at night now, days
> sunny and breezy. I know this doesn't sound cold to most
> of you.

It's chilly. I'm impressed with all these cold temps on the East
Coast, Southern Sector, though.

Here in the heart of the heart of the country, it's barely getting to
50 at night. This is the warmest fall I can remember in a long while.
In my drive today in the eastern and northern parts of the state, I
see that they aren't getting their crops in hardly at all. At least
here all the soybeans are cut. Usually, by this time the big farmers
are in Las Vegas or on a cruise. I'm guessing that the corn isn't dry,
and they don't want to buy lots of propane to dry it, so they're
letting Mother Nature do her thing.

My neighbor has a grain bin and dryer right across the road from me.
Usually at this time of year the dryer is running 24/7, but it hasn't
been on at all so far.

Marie, smack dab in the middle of Illinois